Sunday, November 12, 2006

p. manalo was here - The Last Day of Cinemalaya

http://paolomanalo.livejournal.com/225250.html
Today is the last day of the 2006 Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival and tonight is the awarding ceremonies. I've seen most of the full length entries in competition and all of the short film entries.

I'm biased because I watch a lot of plays from Tanghalang Pilipino. So Nick Joseph Olanka's Ang Huling Araw ng Linggo, seven characters with their interconnected stories forming a one-week narrative, is my favorite. I'm happy to see Angeli Bayani (Noli the Musical's Maria Clara and R'meo Luvs Dew-lhiett's Mrs. Capuleto), Arnold Reyes (Noli the Musical's Crisostomo Ibarra and Zsazsa Zatrunnah's Dodong, Payb-Siks' Dax), Rolando Inocencio (R'meo Luvs Dew-lhiett's Mr. Capuleto) and Chunchie Cabasaan (R'meo Luvs Dew-lhiett's scene-stealing extra) on the big screen. Don't even ask me for a critical review. I'll leave that to Gibbs Cadiz.

Sure interconnection's been done before, and done poorly. But in Huling Araw I like the reason for the interconnection and how the week resolves itself with such poignant and earned didacticism that doesn't work in the other films. I like how the days and characters run through all these human weaknesses but in the end it says that there is something in the Filipino that persists even in times of personal or national crisis. He (or she) may be troubled but he'll never be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment